Saturday, September 26, 2009

The 80's are back


Well, it has been awhile since my last post. Yes, we are alive. Yes, Riley is surviving Jr. High. And yes, mama bear has been busy with PTSO stuff so I have not had a lot of free time.
I think Riley as finally made the transition from Elementary to Jr. High. She seems more relaxed about the whole process and is feeling a bit more comfortable with the new surroundings. She has survived the dreaded undressing from gym class and the idea of 9th hour (detention) has subsided. She is still having a hard time listening to her Languare Arts teacher yell at them for 2 hours every morning, but she loves her science teacher and he helps to cheer her up after a morning with the clearly miserable and useless Language Arts teacher. She has made a few new friends, participated in the spirit week (which included big hair day, duct tape day, school colors, and neon day), and on friday went to her first dance. As you can see above it was an 80's theme. Her friends, Delilah and Sami, that that Riley looked like Madonna.
If any of you out there have advise on how to study for a test, please pass along that information. I was never good at it and Riley struggles with trying to cram all the information in before each test. I am trying to encourage her to study a bit each day so that it is not so overwhelming the night before the test. She hasn't quite grasped that concept yet, but I think it has more to do with she does not know how to actually study a little bit each night. She reads it a couple of times, and then goes now what?

3 comments:

Melisa said...

Again...loving the pictures:)

As far as studying....I was/am a terrible test taker. What helped me was flash cards. I would have to write down my own answer and questions and then study a few a night. Writing them helped to with remembering them...that way mama bear can help to, to make sure she is getting them? Just a thought. I really have no idea:)

The Gooch Family said...

I'm with Melisa. I had to write stuff down over and over again. Note cards, re-writing my notes, whatever I could to get it into my head.

Love the 80's pictures! Too funny.

Fame said...

Maybe make up lyrics to a song she knows like the alphabet. Flash cards- yes. Flip charts- yes. Something like remember the planets or keys from the piano- Every Good Boy Does Fine. Find something that relates to real life- like sometimes I've heard of history teachers talk about opposing sides in a war and football or basketball teams- offense and defense. I dunno! good luck!